Formerly named Hospício Corazón de Jesús, the property was built in 1891 by Guayaquil’s oldest charity in a location in the centre of the metropolis. It would be the first hospice in the city, and its founders, Mr. Manuel Galecio, and his wife, Mrs. Jesús Pereira, stated that it must give shelter only to the homeless, the elderly and the disabled of both sexes.
In the 1980s, facing demolition, the property was bought by the Central Bank of Ecuador and moved board-by-board to its current site in Parque Histórico. There, it was meticulously restored, alongside three other heritage buildings. Four years ago, the Hotel del Parque team took over the renovation of the facade, lovingly transforming it from a shell of a building into the luxurious property of today. Designer Julio Vinueza was inspired by the property’s Republican-era architecture in his creation of the sophisticated interiors.